There is something seductive about the desert. To me, it feels the same as the ocean, when you look out and all you see is that one thing. But with sand instead of water. And frozen waves. Cheezy, I know. We went last night, me and a gaggle of Americans, all of whom have become my close friends since my arrival, and M* one of the brokers. I wish I could spend more time with my brokers than with the Americans. I need to go back to the office for internet. It's not that I don't like the Americans. Obviously I think they're great, but I feel like I'm missing out on a place where I can't hang out with the locals. (See the second picture for an example) At least on a semi regular basis. But I don't know. Maybe I'm just feeling anxious because I spent all of my time in Liberia with Liberians and now I can't find any Egyptians to talk to. My curiosity is stifled.

I've also been wandering around the city a lot. Learning some new words every day but it's hard when I have so much ground to cover. I know most of the numbers in Arabic but very few nouns and a few greetings, usual words, etc. I'm best at ordering sheesha but even buying things at the market or store is a challenge. Mostly because I don't want to use English so I just point when I don't know the words. And reading is a whole other monster. I have to make flash cards and sticky notes to help me remember. I'm doing much better at Arabic than Kpelleh though.


*Who I still might interview.