Wednesday I rode a motorcycle for the first time. Before deciding to go out, I considered the obit: American girl killed in motorcycle accident in Liberia. Of course, I’ve never been one to not do something just because it could be dangerous, so I decided to go anyway. One of the Ministry of Health workers and I have become good friends and he invited me to his sisters (who lives in Gbarnga) and then out to get a drink. We missed his sister entirely, she didn’t get off of work until 7 and we got there at 6, but I got to see a Liberian house and meet my friend’s niece and nephew. The little ones are either terrified or fascinated by me. It makes me feel kind of bad…

The house had 5 rooms that I saw, a big porch, inside kitchen as soon as you walk in, bedroom on your left, bedroom on your left, what I assume was a bedroom on your right but now that I think about it could have been the toilet, and a sort of mud room behind the kitchen, lower and with thatch walls. The rest of the house was some sort of brick. There’s mud brick and cement brick and I haven’t been able to tell the difference yet, but cement brick is much more expensive and lasts longer. Tin roof, of course. I haven’t been into a thatch roof house yet, but I think there are fewer of those in Gbarnga, except the little ones that I mentioned earlier.

After the house, we went to get a drink. Guinness, of course. And then I insisted we catch a ride back as it was getting dark and I didn’t want to get any more calls about being out too late!



The roads are bad, so motorcycle rides are extremely interesting…and scary…but hopefully by the end of the summer I’ll be able to drive a motorcycle and a stick shift (all the cars are stick). Motorcycles act as taxi’s as well, so you can hail one (some have little flags) and pay for a lift.

Below is a picture of me and some new friends :) This was after we got back:

Oh and it’s about $67 Liberian to $1 US. So a beer that costs $100 Liberian is standard. Ha! And a government wage is about $150 US a month….not so funny…